Monday, February 19, 2007

I am now a math teacher

During my stay here in Pasadena I have quite frequently visited the Pasadena Central Library. It is a nice place to sit and read, and together with the libraries in the surrounding area it has a pretty good collection of books. On top of this there is also music and movies, which you can check out without a fee.

Some time ago I was sitting at my table in the library, reading. As I get up to leave, this complete stranger in his mid-thirties comes up to me and asks if I could have a look at the papers he's holding. I'm thinking that it might be a survey of some sort and figures, "Sure!". But pretty soon I realize that it's not a survey but a collection of math exercises that he's doing as a preparation for a test. As we go through some of these questions together, me and this guy I've never seen before, I cling firmly to what I still remember: you calculate what's within the parenthesis first! And I realized that the math is in there somewhere just needing a bit of dusting off. Hopefully I didn't hinder this man's progress too much. Before he leaves he introduces himself, thanks me and asks if I'm a student. No, I said. And wonder now if that is why I kind of enjoyed this math lesson.

I also wonder if it says "This guy will help you with your homework" in my forehead. Not that I mind, on the contrary.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well while you're a math teacher maybe you can help me with my theology homework.... I need to write a paper on the Social Trinity and Tritheism by thursday! Yikes. St Louis has the second largest Mardi Gras celebrations in America, so I've been watching people celebrating all weekend long while I've been studying away. BUT, apart from that it was a good weekend, restful. Tell Autumn hello for me.

Mange said...

I might have to read up a bit on that, but if you meet me in the library tomorrow I'll see what I can do.

We had a nice weekend as well. Went to Santa Monica on Saturday and then out the same evening to celebrate Autumn's birthday with a couple of friends of hers. Good luck with the homework!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, this is excellent! If nothing else, now, in my world, you have "i will do Daniel's book keeping tattooed on your forhead, so i'll just send all of that right over, shall I?

Love and peace!
-d

Stick said...

Great story.

(I would've been looking for the internet-enabled hidden camera...)

I guess if you do enough engineer-type / high-tech work, eventually you will start giving off Mathy vibes?