Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Semla

Today it is Fettisdagen in Sweden. Fettisdagen is the Swedish name for Shrove Tuesday. It literally means "The Fat Tuesday" and is the day when semlor (singular Semla) traditionally is supposed to be eaten. I am at the moment thinking of ways to have one here in Pasadena. Maybe they can be bought at IKEA or maybe there is a bakery that makes them. I'm sure they could be found in Solvang, but that seems to be a bit too far, even for a Semla. If anyone has any ideas don't hesitate to let me know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, s'pose you could actually make them yourself, and blow everyone away with this the greatest of swedish traditions! Hmmm, actually forgot about it myself, so I guess i'm not one to talk. Anyways, hope you have a great fat tuesday!

Bless!
-d

Mange said...

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind. Quite a bit of work though. But it's a sure way to get them just the way you like it. I'll see what to do.

Hope things are well with new company and all!

M

Mange said...

We found a nice cafe that served semlor! And I wasn's the only swede that found my way there that day. It rather seemed like Little Sweden!

Anonymous said...

Are they cream puffs? Next time you are here, I will make them for you. Linda in Lompoc

Mange said...

That's very nice of you! I am not sure what cream puffs are but you can find a recipe for semlor here.
Heard you got another game for the boys. Was it called Froggy? I think I have played it.

Stick said...

Darnit, I need to go and find a proper bakery. (There are semlas in my supermarket, but they look so sad. All squished into tiny cartons.)